Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - August 1, 2016
Birth of a Nation one sheet tops $1.7+ million Vintage Movie Poster offering at Heritage AuctionsPoster for D.W. Griffith's Civil War classic film brings $74,687 July 30-31 in Dallas
"Despite being one of the most influential motion pictures of all time, posters from The Birth of a Nation movie are almost never seen at auction," said Grey Smith, Director of Vintage Posters at Heritage. "I'm not surprised it did well, but I was pleased to see it surpass expectations three times over. The entire auction was a success from start to finish."
Posters from horror films proved popular as a rare one sheet for 1939's sequel Son of Frankenstein, starring A-listers Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Basil Rathbone, sold for $43,020 and a one sheet for Universal's 1939 classic Dracula's Daughter sold for $35,850. A one sheet for The Mummy's Hand brought $14,937.
Multiple bidders vied for rare paper from Hollywood classics, including one of just a handful of one sheets known to exist from the 1930 film Morocco, starting Gary Cooper and Marlene Dietrich. The bright stone lithographed copy — which marked Dietrich's America movie debut — sold for $40,630. A one sheet for The Bell Boy, the 1918 film starring cinematic comedy giants Fatty Arbuckle and Buster Keaton, sparked a bidding war among 10 people to blow past it's $3,000 pre-auction estimate to sell for $35,850.
Unusual discoveries sparked intense bidder interest as a scarce insert format poster for the iconic Casablanca sold for $33,460 and a set of three Italian premier display posters for 1966's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly — measuring an amazing 39-inches by 110-inches — sold for an astounding $31,070 against an $18,000 estimate. Famed poster artist Drew Struzan's original acrylic painting for the one sheet used for Cannonball Run II sold for $21,501.
Additional highlights include but are not limited to:
· A one sheet for The 39 Steps: Realized: $31,070.
· An advance one sheet for the 1948 Superman serial: Realized: $20,315.
· A Douglas Fairbanks stock poster three sheet: Realized: $16,730.
· The always popular one sheet for This Gun for Hire: Realized: $15,535.
Hi-Res images available:
Eric Bradley, Public Relations Associate
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Grey is a true asset to Heritage Auctions and Heritage Auctions are a true asset to the Movie Poster Hobby.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)